Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 21:26:32 +0100

Mark,

You state well the conundrum that many creative people, not only
photographers, face.  On the one hand is the argument that you should not
worry about prostituting yourself if you have to, because in the end it's
only your best work which will be remembered anyway.  No one remembers
Shakespeare for his worst plays, for example, only for his best.  Therefore,
do what you have to do to get by.

On the other hand is the argument that once you begin to prostitute yourself
by accepting assignments for the money only, you begin to contaminate
everything else you do in the medium.  Many writers, photographers, artists
who go down this track never recover.  How do you turn off the police
mug-shot photographer (if that's not who you are) at 5 o'clock, for example,
and reconnect with the photojournalist in your heart?  Better to have a day
job that's totally separate from photography, this view holds, so that you
can keep your vision pure.

I must say that I have still not resolved this one for myself.  It's
probably something that everyone must decide for him/herself.  I just saw
some mundane corporate headshots by Bruce Davidson to illustrate a new
article in a computer magazine, so apparently he can get away with this kind
of thing.  I know there are others.  On the other hand, people like Walker
Evans, Diane Arbus, Eugene Smith, Edward Weston, Garry Winogrand, and Robert
Frank had a very hard time either (at various times in their professional
lives) making ends meet while staying true to their ideals and/or
subordinating themselves to idiots when they absolutely had to.

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw
"When 'Mr. Hearst' sends me to Kansas City, America, I don't want to be a
journalist, I want to be myself and express what I feel about things... I
rejected the necessity of money and the attention that was paid to that
path." -- Robert Frank

- -----