Subject: Re: [Leica] High School track meet
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 01:33:40 +0000

>I am CLUELESS as to what I should charge so that I don't cheapen the
>market.  Nobody has ordered anything yet but I want to be prepared in case
>the issue comes up.
>
>Let's try this again.  Can someone help me with this?
>
>Doug Herr
>Sacramento

This pro-am thing is all getting a little too earnest.
In your case I would advise that you make sure you cover your expenses by
not being ashamed of asking people to put a bit of cash in the hat, tell
them why, and don't take it personally if someone gets funny about it.  A
prime requirement is to make sure you enjoy yourself!

I think what you are doing is wonderful, and the true value of your
contribution is enjoying yourself, being with your daughter, and the
possibility that the images you are making could become treasured by someone
in years to come.

You cannot 'cheapen the market' as what you are doing is a one off, inspired
by a sincere wish to be involved. That is one of the things a camera is good
for.

One of the requirements of making a living out of photography is being
enjoyable to work with. This quality is even more important when it is done
for love - spread a bit of pleasure, hope it doesn't leave you out of
pocket, and don't worry about it. Your daughter will be proud of you!

Alex