Subject: Re: [Leica] High School track meet
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:20:20 EST

Doug,

I do something similar with my kid's baseball teams.  I photograph as many
games as I can and usually bring along the "big guns", my 400 and 560 Telyt
Televits.  Perfect tools for the job and impresses the hell out of everybody
there.  I shoot pictures of all the kids batting and playing in their field
positions.  People love to look through the big lenses.  I hand out my
business cards to anyone whose interested in my work.  At the end of the
season party, I give each of the parents a packet of prints of their son,
stamped on the back with my business name and a business card.  This has
resulted in several Bar Mitzvah jobs and this year an ongoing job
photographing houses for a builder whose son was on the team.  This has paid
several thousands of dollars.  All from a little PR which didn't cost me a lot
and I had fun doing!  I never charge for these photos.
OTH, when I do a job photographing something for someone, I always quote my
fees up front, do exactly what I say I'm going to do, deliver promptly with a
bill for services and get paid.  Don't ever do a job for someone for no fee.
Always establish what compensation you would like or expect.  Come to some
agreement as to what the compensation will be.  Try never to work on spec.
Remember, the value of something without a price is nothing.

Bill Rosauer