Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTLs...disappointment.
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:11:28 -0600 (CST)

WEll, one *might* want to be stuck in the past :)

As for "desirable" vintage electronics....the National HRO
receivers are in HIGH demand (l930s) and Western Electric
theater amplifiers are now bringing five figures for a
pair (also 1930s)....I should state that these are purchased
by folks who intend to USE them daily...not just 'collectors'--
A collector will go after 65 year old artifacts that are
"attractive" physically.....theses items aren't!!

Among the amateur radio crowd, AM equipment from the 1930s-60s
is the holy grail....NOT for collecting, for daily use.....
Fast forwarding a few decades, no one will want 'vintage'
computers, but my l968 Collins 75S3B has yet to be equalled
in PERFORMANCE.....as has my friend's RL Drake R4-C receiver....
These items, properly equipped, are still the standard of
communications receiver performance in l999.....the newer stuff
is MUCH cheaper, in adjusted dollars (hell, in UNadjusted dollars!)
but NOT of higher standards of performance...or finish, or
quality of construction, etc....

Much like a late SS M3 or M2 (possibly even my M-4)....that
level of quality has yet to be equalled, much less exceeded.
I don't regret my M4 and M4P purchases, but I *DO* regret
parting with my M2.....

To each his own....I warned that I'm NOT the *typical* consumer....
hell, the stores/car dealers/furniture makers/stereo mfgs would
be out of business!!!  I'm an oddity....bottom-feeding, cheapskate,
poor-mouth scum who only wants the BEST....and amazingly, has a
lot of it!

Walt

On
Sun,