Subject: RE: [Leica] back to Leica dialogue! -Reply
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:51:23 -0500

Oh, shit.....A chance to start another flame war!!!!

I have always held HCB in awe....but...I have recently been spending time
staring at the pages of Henri Cartier Bresson: Photoportraits, which Buzz
was kind enough to lend me. I have to tell you, the vast majority of the
many many portraits in the book are really mundane. There are exceptions :
Faulkner, Sarte, Camus, HCB's little daughter, Giacometi - But by and large,
the only vaguely interesting "portraits" are the street portraits of
unknowns, many of which are classic HCB. But most of the portraits that were
taken as "portraits" of the famous and infamous tend to look very similar,
be shot from similar angles...they're just not very good...especially when
compared to his other work...

That said, Yes, he certainly has to be at the top of any Leica list...or any
other list, for that matter...

B. D.