Subject: Re: [Leica] back to Leica dialogue! -Reply
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 19:27:57 -0600 (CST)

W.Eugene Smith....although he "strayed", he used Leicas in
part throughout his life.....

here's one for all of you to have fun with (dumb Texas heathen, etc):
I don't understand the hoopla about HCB....period.....he's not in
the top ten on my list....I know, I just 'don't understand' being
the unwashed....two degrees and employed in higher education
for 13 years won't count.....half journalism, half 'visual arts'...
I still don't "get" it.....yeah, a few neat pictures....but my God...
Smith, Duncan, Eisie, two dozen "lesser" Life photographers, plus
a dozen 'current' photogs using Leica, some on this list, and
still this 'art-school' fascination with HCB?  Could be worse,
in the current 'politics' of art photography, even ol' HCB has
lost out to a bunch of policitally volatile hacks who occupy
90+ percent of lecture time......damn, glad I'm living
in the past......

Walt

On