Subject: [Leica] LUG, Leica culture, lens testing and No BS
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:21:09 -0800

Boy,  300+ messages ....  mostly from lens test vs. usage.

Anyway, I think tests and usage each have a place.  Most Leica lenses test
very well.  I don't think there has been a Leica lens someone has really
trashed (well, except maybe the Hektor).  Testing can show the value of a
lens at various apertures and save people a lot of money when deciding on a
lens.
OTOH, using a lens is where the rubber meets the road.  Does anyone
remembers the Nikkor 38-76mm zoom? The one Nikon apologized about because it
was not a sharp optic.  It tested lousy.  But still sold in large numbers to
many PJs and others in the 60s because it offered something they wanted, a
short zoom! Even if it was not as tack sharp as say the 50mm F1.4 Nikkor,
they found it usable.

For Leica we have talked about the Noctilux.  While it TESTS OK wide open,
it is better stopped down.  Those that realize this and use the Noctilux for
its intention are happy with it at F1.  Those that use F8 most of the time
can look at the "test data" and perhaps decide on a Summicron-M Asph which
may test better at F8, so they can save $$$ and maybe buy LUG, something
else :-).

Peter K

PS If Erwin is speaking as Mr. Spock... Does that mean Eric is Dr. McCoy,
a.k.a. "Bones"?