Subject: [Leica] PROBLEMS WITH M-6 TTL with Metz 40 MZ-2or3 with SCA SCA 3501
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 15:55:15 +0800

Peter and Terry,

I don't think the flashing aperture is a problem at all.  The R8
utilises the latest SCA 3000 digital system in the form of SCA 3501.
With ROM lenses the set aperture value is transmitted from the lens, via
the camera body CPU and hot shoe, to the Metz flash.  This value is then
displayed on the LCD panel of the 40 MZ-2/3.  The operating range of the
flash (as a function of the speed of film in use, and the position of
the zoom flash head) is calculated and displayed accordingly.

In the case of the M6 TTL, since none of the M lenses is ROMed, and the
camera body lacks the sophiscated electronics of the R8, the SCA 3501
module and Metz flash are not informed the set aperture value of the
lens in use.  The SCA 3501 module in this case only sends a signal to
the flash when enough  light has reached the film during exposure and
'tells' the flash to shut off.  It also provides signals like 'flash
ready' and 'correct exposure' etc. but no more.

Whether the set lens aperture value is transmitted to the flash or not
does not really matter.  It does not affect the exposure.  All it does
is to inform the photographer of the flash operating range at that
chosen aperture.  In the case of the M6 TTL, one simply dials in the
aperture value manually on the flash and you will get the same display,
indicating the operating range of that aperture.

I have just shot and developed a roll of Provia with my M6 TTL using my
Metz 40 MZ-3 flash (with a Nikon SC-17 off-camera TTL cord to avoid the
RF going out of whack again!) and all shots were perfectly exposed.  If
you are confident that your chosen aperture is within the operating
range of the flash then you can simply ignore the flashing aperture
value on the LCD panel of the Metz.

I hope this will clarify a few issues.

Joseph