Subject: [Leica] Re: olympus vs leica
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 09:12:31 -0800

I find comments from others regarding various systems quite interesting. In the
combined knowledge base of the LUG there is probably first hand experience with
every system in existence.

I have the remnants of many older 35mm systems that I used over the years. I
nearly bought an Olympus SLR in the '70s  ago. I opted instead for a Fujica. It
was small and afordable at the time. The thing that really caught my attention,
though, was the LED meter readout. This was very high tech at the time. The LEDs
were much easier to use in low light than the prevalent match needle system.
Many other companies used LEDs soon after, but Fuji was the first. I used that
system, even when I moved to Nikon a few years later. I still have an ST801 and
a 50/1.4 EBC Fujinon. It's a superb lens. (I have four magazine covers that were
shot with that lens, four more than I have with Leica). Alas, the universal
screw mount system was archaic, and Fuji's lens selection was limited. The
abandoned SLRs entireley and moved to P&S in 35 and MF.

Back in the '70s I remember seeing Leica equipment listed in Modern and other
publications. The cost was way out of reach for me. I drove a Volkswagon back
then. I always dreamed of using Leica. Now that I can afford it, I do. I still
drive a Volkswagon.

Dave