Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: olympus vs leica
From: "4season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 23:58:18 -0700

I too remember drooling over many camera ads in the '70s! Minolta, Nikon,
Leica, I didn't know the diff. Electronics, LEDs, light-touch electronic
shutter release buttons and gallium or silicon metering cells seemed hip at
the time,and I guess Leica thought so too, enough to engrave the e-word onto
the front of all SLRs. Is it any wonder that I wanted a Minolta XD-11, which
was totally buzzword-compliant? By the mid-80s, this lust turned towards the
Leica R4s with winder and grip.

Along the way, I got a Nikon F3 + MD4, and this really raised my
expectations of what good camera design could be--viewfinder displays which
told you almost everything you wanted to know, yet were simple and highly
visible; quick-change battery pack which also powered the camera body.
Following the F3, the XD-11 and R4s were big disappointments (fussy,
hard-to-read viewfinder displays, astoundingly bad R4 winder + grip) though
I do still like the compact dimensions and general layout of the R,
particularly the depth of field lever.

I do like where some of the modern cameras have gone, with graphical LCD
displays placing all info one one area, and with no readability problems. At
the same time, I can now be equally happy with utterly simple, but well-done
setups such as the M6 LED display, with it's pair of arrows--no
misinterpreting that! These days, I'm less concerned about the exact
technologies used, and more concerned about good design that helps me to
have more fun and take better photos: In my household, you might say that
vacuum tubes and VLSI coexist peacefully :-) Probably my favorite M-system
design features are (1) the frame preview lever, which quickly tells you
what you could've gotten, had you bought another lens, and (2) the lenshoods
which need never be removed from the lens, because they either retract, or
can be capped as-is.

Jeff Segawa