From: Edward Kowaleski <edwardkg@umd.umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 17:28:43 -0500 (EST)

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with the LUG subscription business.
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but some of the protocols in
e-mail and computer communications are so exacting and pedantic that it
could drive one to drink.  I make many spelling errors and sometimes that
also confuses the issue.  I thought I'd try to go to the subscription
procedure one more time.

1.  Address th e-mail to "majordomo@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us" (do not use the
quotes).

2.  Leave the subject blank.  Put nothing in the subject box.

3.  In the body of the e-mail write "subscribe Leica-users"  (again, do
not use the quotes).

4.  Add nothing else; just send the e-mail.  Their computer will
automatically pick off your e-mail address from the header and the
request to subscribe in the body of the text.  It is untouched by human
hand but if you deviate from this procedure, the system will not work.
Crazy huh?

5.  At the risk of beating it to death, the text must read exactly as
stated above, i.e. "subscribe Leica-user"  -- be sure to include the hyphen.

I think I messed this up several times when I first subscribed.

I may have told you that I bought two of the new M6TTL units.  I also
bought the new Leica SF20 flash for these units and while I also have
Metz units, I'm very pleased with the results.  I took a mess of pictures
over the past weekend and I have been printing for two days.  For me,
printing is the real joy of photography so I'm always looking for
equipment that will get all the juice into the negative. I think I'm far
better with the technical stuff than the artistic vision business.  I "see"
postcard pictures but not the real jucicy stuff that makes great
photographers.

This past Sunday my wife and I went to a Gordon Parks exhibit that is
being put on at the Detroit Institute of Art.  It was absolutely marvellous:
they guy sees stuff in common-place circumstances that end up as
brilliant pictures,  I love to see stuff like this because I hope that
some of the imitation will rub off on me.  I have no pride: I can copy
and learn from anyone.  His black and white pictures have a richness that
is born from high contrast printing: he has deep lustery blacks in his
prints that are off set by whites so you visualize that tones in between.

I guess we saw about three hundred prints, most of which were real
winners.  I wonder how many prints and negatives he had to throw into the
slop bucket to get those?  The problem is that his "throw-aways" are
probably the sort of things I'd consider as gem perfect and keep and,
importantly, then quite and not push further.  I sometimes find great
pain in wanting to make great pictures that never quite seem to get there.

See you next month.  Let me know how the LUG works out (I did tell you
that there is a lot of nonsense on the LUG that you have to sift through,
didn't I?).  All the best, Ed.