Subject: [Leica] Inaccurate and pointless stereotypes
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 21:24:20 -0700

Dear Mark,
Do you actually know any artists? Do you have coffee with them? I know a lot
of artists, and they do not talk about "Sex and Rock and Roll" any more than
other people, probably less. And, they do not "nod off." Perhaps the lot you
observe drink decaf?
And perhaps stereotypes are not very helpful. If the way you print your work
is effective for you, I hardly see what other's attitudes about the best way
to print matter. Go back into the dark room and enjoy yourself.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson

++++++++++++++=
Mark R wrote:
[cut]
"You get a group of artist types in a coffee clutch and what do they talk
about?
Sex and Rock and Roll? Then they nod off. Which paper to use cause they
like the smell, I don't know and this is probably my category.
Then there are Business types: dollars and sense? Stockquotes? Don't ask
me.
Social worker/Shrink types: Catharsis with no cleanup.
Main categories of job descriptions that make us different types of
people because we are what we do in most cases.
We've got to respect each others frames of reference.
Some of us take brilliant sharp technically perfect and boring pictures.
Others of us take phantasmagorically brilliant expressive piercing
images with dust spots and hypo stains and we are amazed when our film
comes out at all.
We have to have a little bit of both sides of the brain going for us or
we are in a little bit of trouble here... in photography.
Mark Rabiner 1999.9