Subject: [Leica] Re: A Simple Question about the M6
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:55:48 +0900

Hi Paul,

As someone else has already mentioned, the camera in question is not
part of a "20th production run" series, but apparently the 20th M6 off
the production line.   Collectors seem to value very early production
examples, as well as very late production examples of discontinued
models.  They also value things produced in small quantities, not to
mention mis-engraved samples.  So the mint- $1,400 M6 you saw may have
been a similar vintage as #20, having the same features, but either
it wasn't a very early production one or it was but the dealer didn't
know it.

Whether $3,500 is "reasonable" or not for #20 is something the market
will determine.  I am fortunate (in a perverse sense) to be living in
Japan, one of the holy lands of Leica collecting, during a prolonged
economic recession.  Fortunate in that I can visit 3 or 4 dealers in
Osaka any day of the week and see many pristine examples of very rare
Leica equipment that suddenly cash-poor collectors are trying to sell
on consignment.  They come in waves, usually scattered among the 3 or
4 shops---half-frame M4-2s and M4-Ps one week, KE-7As a few weeks
later, then olive-drab M3s, etc.  Maybe Ken Iisaka can fill us in, but
I have to believe there is even more of the same happening in Tokyo.
Few on display in the showcases sell for more than US $10-15,000 which
I suspect could be quite a bit less than what the current owners paid,
but such is the life of a collector.

I like seeing this stuff, but even if could buy it without flinching I
don't think I would.  $3,500 for #20 doesn't seem like a good deal to
me, because I don't place much value on having a low serial number.
I'd rather pay $1,400 for the one you saw, and use the other $2,000 or
so on lenses, maybe some R-Leicas, medium format (I seem to have no
problem imaging how to spend imaginary money...).  However, one of my
many mottos is "To each his own."

Cheers,

PB

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 13:58:54 PST, "Paul Klingaman"
<pklingaman@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a simple question regarding the M6.  I was browsing around

>listed a "20th production M6" for $3500.

>an M6 that I was interested in buying from a local shop the prior

> I read the information and it seemed to me that the M6 that
>I saw for $1400 was a "20th production" model.  So I wondered, why the
>price difference?

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp