Subject: [Leica] Re: Seattle Film Works
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 19:21:45 -0800

At 01:54 PM 3/4/1999 -0600, Bill Grimwood wrote...
>Today I received two rolls of free? film from Seattle film works.  Has
>anyone had any experience with them?  My first inclination is to just throw
>the film in the garbage can and forget about it.  Or is this some good
>stuff that these people do a good job with?
>

>Bill Grimwood

The film is manufactured by Agfa. It is C-41 process, but those bastards
generate enormous captive revenue by pretending it's something else. Like
the movie film they _used_ to sell. Most labs, especially mini-labs won't
process it for that reason. If you find a lab that will process it, you are
ahead of the game. If you send it to SFW, they do a reasonable job at too
high a price. The idea is that their printers are precisely calibrated to a
single emulsion type, and it does work well, at least for consumer
purposes. They generate high profits through very low re-do rates. If you
want to use the film, first find a lab that will process it for you.

Mike

"Sing whatever is well made..."
- -W. B. Yeats