Subject: [Leica] Re: Seattle Film Works
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:02:17 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

> Actually, the remjet coating was carbon based and was an anti-static coating
> to keep those little lightning bolt like marks from appearing on the film
>  You can see the phenomenon in old silent movies on Turner Classic Movies!).
> The motion picture labs used a jet of water to prewash the film before the
> developer. For some reason, I've never seen that kind of coating on B&W
> movie stock, which I used in my hungry days when I could get it cheap (read
> free here!)
> Dan

Thats interesting to know. Makes a lot of sense, really, since static build-up
would be a serious problem in a motion picture camera, especially with
plastic-based films. Right, I never saw anything like that on BW movie stock
either--different base, less of a problem, problem solved later??? Would be
interesting to research this.

Mike