Subject: Re: [Leica] Whom is using/has used (pre-Modular) APO-TELYT-R 280mm, f2.8?
From: lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 10:21:08 +0100

Ross Mcleish wrote:

> Whom can give some opinions re using and handling off the
> pre-Modular 280mm, f2.8? I am aware that this is a huge
> lens, although a fair bit lighter than the current model.
> Is this a 'good buy' as a pre-loved item? I plan to use
> it primarily for wildlife photography (mostly in Africa,
> which I visit every 18mths on average). Any advice,
> positive or negative is welcome.

Go for it. The handling is much better than with the
APO-TELYT-R MODULAR 280 f2,8 and the quality is superb.
Difficult to believe that the APO MODULAR is better.
(but whit Leica nothing is impossible!)
BTW, I never saw a comparison of them or even a test of
the MODULAR system alone.

> I don't feel the need to go the way of the modular system,
> and was otherwise contemplating the 280mm f4 which is much lighter.

The APO 280 f4 is better, but lack the f2,8
which is important with APO EXTENDER 1,4X and 2X.

The ergonomic of the APO 280/2,8 is so good.
Each time I use it, I love it more.

I you buy it, be sure that the aluminum case (+ carrying strap),
the rubber palm-grip, the lens carrying strap and the UV
filter (E112)
are include.
The second version is blessed with a filter drawer at the
back.
Be also sure that the neutral filter is inside.

Lucien