Subject: [Leica] Re: Silver Recovery
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 12:49:35 -0800

George,

In a word, no. I designed all of the computer controlled silver recovery
equipment for both IMG Photo Products and PCSE (Photo Chem Systems &
Engineering). The amount of solution required to recover a detectable
amount, is in the 20, 40, 60, 80 gallon range, depending upon the amount of
clear areas on your neg's and prints. The steel wool canisters will go
rotten before enough silver is recovered to be detectable. Rotary plating
equipment costs more than the amount of silver you would retrieve in 20
years. I have a very small plating unit and it was never worthwhile to use
it. It just takes a lot of solution to recover real silver. Some of it
sulfides or otherwise doesn't properly plate out, some doesn't exchange
(steel wool), so unless you have a commercial lab, mini lab, x-ray
processing machine, etc..., producing a considerable volume of fixer or
bleach-fix, it's not worth thinking about. And you won't find a refiner
that will deal with minuscule amounts, so recovering the silver from the
plating cathode or steel wool bucket is impossible. Unless you know someone
in the business. You could ask these questions of Drew Refinery in
Berkeley, if they are still there.

Jim