Subject: Re: [Leica] Older 35 Summicron better bokeh?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:12:14 +0000

>Can you elaborate on the differences in the bokeh between the two versions?
>I have heard that the asph has (god forbid) Nikon-like harshness.  How about
>that Leica 3-D effect?  I would hesitate to give up "Leica" characteristics
>for wide open corner sharpness.  Thanks, ray.

The 3-D effect of the non-asph is superb, especially when used wide open.
It isolates the main subject well.

Their bokeh is harder to describe.   For eg. when there are bare tree
branches in the background, the asph version will render them stringy and
dehydrated looking. To me, this is harsh bokeh and tends to irritate.  I
have also noticed that the Contax 50/1.5 Sonnar for the IIa tend to produce
a similarly harsh  bokeh.   A similar shot with the non-asph will produce a
pastel-like pleasing looking background.

Dan K.