Subject: Re: [Leica] Fungus -- humidity? or darkness the catalyst?
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 06:26:38 +0000

>.
>Living in the subtropics, I have noticed that it seems to be storage of
>things ranging from leather goods to optical equipment in darkness that
>promotes growth of mildew/fungus.  Nothing ever seems to happen to shoes I
>wear or lenses sitting on a shelf in a well lighted room without caps on
>either end, no matter how high the humidity.  Have heard just that advice
>from repair shops and old timer collectors.
>
>Harry

Most photo gear are stored in sheltered places.  Even subdued light is
sufficient to encourage the growth of fungus.   I find that if I use my
equipment frequently for even a month I will not get the growth on my
lenses. The same equipment kept in my photo bag will have fungal growth.

These moulds just love the darkness and humidity.  So, don't forget to air
and sun your groin freqently :).

We have electrical dehumidifier cabinets in which one can adjust the RH.
They come in 40 liters sizes and above.  I store my camera, lenses, slides,
loupes, binocs in them when they are not in use.  The electricity
consumption costs less than a dollar a month.

Dan K.