Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 scratching film
From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 1999 18:07:02 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

	I've recently endured *exactly* the same problem...

> I've just noticed that my M6 seems to be leaving some very fine
> scratches on film. The scratches run lengthwise across the negative...
> ...they appear on a reasonable proportion of negatives.
> They don't appear in the same place on the different negatives.
> The scratches are so fine that I can't see them on a negative with a
> loupe.  However, they show up on a scan when enlarged.

	With both bodies loaded with slide film, I tested for the scratches.
The scratches don't show up under loupes, but in computer scanning. The
scratches tended to show up about the same place along the film with each test,
at about the 10-15th frames, mostly, but everywhere else as well.
	The service technicians I talked with suggested several alternatives.
Among the most highly regarded here...one suggested that I clean the pressure
plate with isopropyl alcohol and blow out the camera (with the shutter open and
the lens removed) with an air can. After doing this I *think* I have the
problem solved, for now.
	Even so, one of the two camera bodies was very much harder to rewind
than the other, making me wonder if the scratching could be coming from within
the cassette, as the film base rubs the emulsion coiled inside the cassette. I
sent that body for service.

- -Gary S. Colby
 colbyg@ulv.edu