Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] m4-P opinions
From: kabob@tiac.net (Bob Keene/Karen Shehade)
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 08:35:25 -0500

Kent-

I've only owned an M4-P, and only for about three months, but it's a GREAT
camera! I do miss a built in meter- but have an MR4 meter that fits in the
hot shoe and links up with the shutter speed dial. This has proved very
workable. Eventually I'll get an M6... but this is the best entry to the M
system that I found. I also got a great deal on the camera w/ meter. It's
quite worn on the backside; but I don't care... I'm also going to send it
to Sherry at Golden Touch for a complete CLA, just to make it as good as
possible. With a Soft Release on it it's a very fast camera in a pinch. I
wear it around my neck loaded with Delta 3200 for candid moments while
shooting weddings with the Hasselblad/Q-flash gear. Last Saturday I was
able to bang out some shots at the reception using the video guy's light
and the modeling light on my White Lightning monolights! I just took an
ambient reading with my Sekonic 308; think it was about f2.8-4  @1/60th. I
think these will be very dramatic and hopefully the happy couple will
purchase many of them! (then using these monies, I can buy the M6!!)  :)
When evaluating the camera for purchase, check the shutter curtain, listen
to the shutter speeds (you should hear a distinct difference), and focus
the rangefinder on something very far away to make sure the two images in
the rangefinder line up. Then focus on something about 10 feet away; does
the distance scale on the lens line up to the approximate distance?
BTW a CLA on an M4-P will run you  (here, I'll let Sherry speak for herself):

>A typical overhaul is
>$125.00 labour, $45.00 in parts, (all light shileds, synchro insulation,
>and external screws are changed), plus shipping.  Turn-around is 2 to 2
>and a half weeks.  Estimates are free.

If you want to spend significantly less for a camera- go with an M4-P. I
did, mainly because I wanted to ease into the 'M' system. I had to make
sure that it was right for me. It is. By the end of the week I should be
getting my 35 Summilux!!(non-ASPH; I don't care!)

I think "Leica" is the German word for "Heroin"- they make you feel good,
then you keep spending all your money on them!

Bob Keene