Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
From: raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:50:12 +0100

> Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:29:08 EST
> From: TEAShea@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
>
> << Leica has always created excellent optics.  In my opinion, purchasing an
>  APO is like guilding the Lily.   >>
>
> The newer Leica lenses have substantially higher resolution and contrast than
> older Leica lenses.  Moreover, the newer designs also substantially reduce
> curvature of field.  The resolution and contrast of older Leica lenses cannot
> even match the general 35 mm consumer fixed focal length lenses of today from
> Canon, Nikon etc.  Of course there are those who prefer the softer look of the
> older lenses.
>
> Tom Shea

You are right, of course but the difference is hard to see in real life
world. I had the chance to get some comparison shots with my 15
years old Summicron 90mm and the APO version of same. With
both elbows placed on the table for support, aperture 2.8, with flash
and without photos of people at the next table - can you guess? No
dramatic difference, barely a difference at all.
All the best!
Raimo

Photos at: http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen