Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux - shooting wide open
From: Harrison McClary <mcclary@iname.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:11:46 -0600

Thursday, March 11, 1999, John wrote:
> Can anyone opine of the comparative edge to edge quality and sharpness of
> low natural light photos taken with a Canadian made Noctilux at f1.0 and a
> 50mm Summilux at f1.4 using the same type of film in the same lighting
> conditions.

John,

Can't speak for the summilux, never used one.  But I have the Noctilux
and  if  you want  edge to edge sharpness and evenness of exposure this
lens is not for you.

The Nocti exposures fall off quite dramatically in the corners. But in
most  circumstances  where you would be shooting at f 1.0 the light is
usually FAR from even.

I  really  like the Noctilux. Allows for photos in circumstances where
it  would  be impossible with out flash. Also allows me to shoot tri-x
rated  at 400 where I normally would have to push it a stop or 2. Much
better shadow detail when not having to push.

Best regards,
 Harrison                          mailto:mcclary@iname.com
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com