Subject: Re: [Leica] ancient jewelry pleasures: leica II
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:31:08 +0000

Thomas wrote:

>after some time of active absence from the LUG - first caused by the
>examination for the master of photography, which i did with success;
>then caused by lots of journalistic work arround the deadly
>avalanche-desaster in the tyrolean paznaun-valley (austria) close to
>me - i like to report a little bit about personal leica-pleasures.

Many congratulations on passing your exam.
<snip>

>it did take some time and worries, until i had success to load the
>camera with a reel of black&white-film - stephen gandys homesite
>helped. then i've made some test-shoots. as expected, the long times
>don't work: the curtain remains open, as long as i press the button at
>1/40, 1/30 and 1/20. there is also malfunction at 1/500 - only partly
>exposured frames. the uncoated lens is very sensitive for halation,
>for strong light sources. there are some very fine scratches on the
>front lens.
>
>but regardless of this, a fascinating surprise for me was the
>sharpenes of this lens - very fine details and brillance. also with
>full opened apperture. the rangefinder still works absolutely perfect
>and is bright.
>
>i wonder, how much effort it will take and how much it would cost to
>bring this leica back to full working function - the shutter seems to
>be the only big problem, and maybe a bit of new lubrication for the
>lens-mechanics would'nt be bad. it must be great fun to use this
>ancient jewelry of the 30s for some "lyric" photo-work today. comments
>are welcome,

Sound like a good CLA is in order. You've reminded me that my 1932 Leica
Standard needs some exercise (pic on my home website). This is in much
better condition than your II, and also came with the Elmar. These days I
tend to use a Summar on it, which is still a great performer around f6.3
providing you don't shoot directly into the sun. Nice soft 'plastic'
effects wide open too.

Happy shooting.

Slan

Alex