Subject: RE: [Leica] ancient jewellery pleasures: Leica II
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:33:37 -0000

Thomas,

The Leica II is my favourite old Leica, perhaps I'm sentimental as it was
the first Leica I ever had, bought for 15 GBP in 1975!
But it created the synergy which was required of the camera system, i.e. the
integrated rangefinder. Before that I can't believe the concept was ever
really complete even though the wonderful Elmar lens won many advocates.

The serial number (under 100,000) shows it is early, the first series had a
little black circle in the back of the camera, I have one like this now even
though I sadly sold my original camera to upgrade many years ago.

It is well worth the effort to have the camera restored to good health
though depending where you send it, it can be expensive. Here in England I'd
expect to pay around 100 GBP for a full overhaul from an independent
repairer. You may find that Leica themselves will offer service facilities,
certainly Leica UK has restarted this service for screw cameras.

Only you will be able to determine whether the cost is acceptable to you but
as you note, the results can be surprisingly good for such old equipment,
remember you have the stuff of which legends were made.

Jem