Subject: Re: [Leica] CL Strap
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 11:07:21 -0500

SNIP --

Fred Huganir wrote:

... [n]o strap, and no case.  I would like to know how the strap was
arranged on the unusual lugs, and where I could get one ....

SNIP --

Fred,

The original strap for the CL was a vinyl (plastic) strap with a plastic
non-slip pad.  (Leitz No. 14194.)  In cold weather that strap goes stiff
as a board.  The strap is also hard to find.  There is a leather strap
with a non-slip pad (Leitz No. 14190) for the M5 that works great, but
it is a collector's item.  The last one I saw advertised was $40 to $45.
Both straps just thread through the two side lugs on the body and the
end of the strap buckles into a silver metal strap retainer.

The straps of choice for the CL (and M5) are the M6 carrying strap with
molded on pad (Leica No. 14312) or R7 carrying strap (Leica No. 14253)
with the rubber molded on non-slip pad.  With either strap you slit
(with a single edge razor blade, very carefully) the sewn threads at the
two (loop) ends of the nylon strap and discard the (2) metal rings which
are retained in those loops. You need rethread the the loose ends of the
strap back through lugs of the CL and then the two strap adjustment
buckles and tighten.

You don't have to worry about strap metal ring rub against the CL body
as there is only the soft nylon strap.  Both of my CLs have particular
this Leica strap set-up.

I like the 14253 strap best as it has a slide that locks against the
adjustment slide on each side.  Sherry Krauter suggested this type of
replacement strap for the CL about a year ago.  Once you get either
strap, my directions above will make more sense.  If you want. I will
take a close up with my macro lens so that you may see the way to thread
the new Leica strap and how well it fits.  Email me privately for the
latter.

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia
sneeker@erols.com