Subject: Re: [Leica] M 135mm/90mm Frames and Use
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 00:32:41 -0500

SNIP --
Andrew Jordan wrote:

"My experience with the M4,5,6 is that the built-in
135mm frame is essentially useless while the 90mm frame is marginal in
composing and lining up verticals in photographic subjects."

SNIP --

Gee, Andrew, that has not been my experience with the following M
bodies, M4-2, M5, M6 Classic, and CL.  Have you tried the Elmarit f/2.8
135mm (11829) with goggles (Leica speak, "with viewfinder front
attachment") on the M5 and M6?  That 135mm lens has given me some
magnificent images over the years that I have owned it with both
bodies.
IMHO, the Tele-Elmarit (first version, 5 element) f/2.8 90mm is getting
an undeserved bad rap from some posters.  I use it frequently on the CL,
and just recently got my "Monica" shot in front of the Mayflower Hotel
in the District of Columbia with it. The resulting 8x10 cropped blow up
from the Tele-Elmarit was well received at the MidAtlantic LUG meeting,
last Saturday, February 27th.  The CL and Tele-Elmarit make a small,
easy to carry outfit over your shoulder on a casual outing or in your
briefcase on a business trip.

Taking some liberties, and paraphrasing other poster, "practice with it,
use it," you and others might like the renditions it gives from a
diminutive package.

A current user --  ;-)

Respectfully and the Best of Light,

Bill Caldwell