Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica CL
From: j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:15:48 -0500

>Hello list members.  I am new to the list, and a new amateur Leica user.
>
>Recently, I went to pick up some prints, and I saw the following in the
>display case of my local camera store, and bought them for $750, with a
>warranty (its a trusted and reliable store used by professionals and amatuers
>alike).  I am not a collector, but just someone who likes high quality prints
>and slides with compact flexible equipment.  I remembered articles about the
>CL many years ago, and figured it would be a good investment.  This is an
>upgrade from my long-standing Canonette 1.7 GIII, a Zeiss-Ikon I gave to my
>cousin for parts, and two "throwaway" Olympus Stylus cameras (which actually
>were given away as useless for except for parts).  I've preferred small
>rangefinder cameras, though I've had a couple of 35mm SLR systems.
>
>I know very little about Leicas.  I read Stephan Gandy's site on the CL, and
>though I'd like to improve on the system, apparently the CL equipment I have
>is about the best I can do anyway.
>
>Body:  "Leica CL" on front.  "Leitz Wetzlar" on top.  "Mfg. in Japan for
>Leitz Wetzlar" on bottom.
>
>2 lenses:  Minolta M-Rokkor 1:2 40mm, Serial No. on filter ring;  Leitz
>Wetzlar Elmar-C 1:4 90mm.  Serial No. on filter ring.
>
>They came with no literature, no strap, and no case.  I bought a manual
>online (hasn't arrived yet), and a case would just get in my way.  But I
>would like to know how the strap was arranged on the unusual lugs, and where
>I could get one (it doesn;t have to be original, just the correct design).
>
>Comments and help, please?  Thanks.
>
>Fred
Hi Fred,

I have a CL and M4P.
As for the CL strap, forget about Leica products.
I still have the original strap wich is useless in cold weather and has
this cheap feeling (and honestly it is really cheap).
A few years back, I replaced it with an excellent neoprene strap made of
nylon webbing and neoprene for shoulder pad.
You can buy one made by OP-Tech. In any circumstance, these are the best
straps on the market.
I bought the same type for my two binoculars, and my SLR.
There is no metal parts to these straps so they don't scratch equipment.
I would suggest you buy one of the small narrow strap for your camera. They
come in black (looks fine with the CL) or color.
OP-Tech has a web site where you can see all their products. You can reach
them via B&H camera store web site thru the Links.
These straps sells for +-$18.Can here in Canada (+-US $12.-)
If you want to take pictures with your camera and not be a Leica equipment
advertisement (:>) buy this practical strap. The flat nylon webbing fits
just right in the CL lugs, holding the lose cover when you change film.

Take care and make great pictures with your CL,

Jacques Leonard
j.leonarddesigner"videotron.ca

PS: Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest site is probably the most interesting
camera site on the webb. I visit his site almost everyday to check what's
new.

PS #2: I have a book on the CL I think you should buy. Name is "Leica CL"
by Theo Kisselbach published by Hove Camera Foto Books in 1976-1977. 135
pages just on the CL. A lot more complete than the original Leica Instr.
booklet. You can still order this book from B&H in New York. See thier
extensive ad in each month's Shutterbug.