Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica CL and Minolta CLE
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:14:08 +0900

Hi Howard,

I believe you're right on the CL-CLE 90mm/4.0 Elmar sourcing.  Leica
made the lens during the CL production, in both Leica- and
Minolta-branded versions.  Minolta made their own version when they
brought out the CLE.  The Minolta version is multicoated and
supposedly has a different optical design.

The rangefinder cam slope issue you bring up is only an issue on the
CL, not the CLE.  The CLE lenses use the same rangefinder cam slope as
standard Leica-M lenses, and are completely interchangeable.  The only
problems with CLE lenses on M bodies is which frame lines do or don't
appear.  The potential for focusing accuracy problems with M lenses on
CLE bodies is due to the CLE having a shorter, therefore inherently
less accurate, rangefinder base length.  Longer lenses at larger
apertures may not focus accurately, especially at close distances.

For those interested in more detail about the CL/CLE and compatibility
issues, I suggest you browse Stephen Gandy's site at:
www.cameraquest.com

Regards,

PB

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 18:54:11 +0800, Cummer Family
<cummer@asiaonline.net> wrote:
[snipping]
>I believe the early CL 90's were made by Leitz when the CL camera was in
>production and then when Minolta upgraded the CL to the CLE they produced
>their own 90mm Minolta Rokkor.

>I have used a 90 mm tele elmarit and now a new Elmarit with my CLE
>and, despite official warnings from Leica (because of cam slope differences
>between the Leica lens and the CLE) about focussing accuracy of Leica
>lenses on the CLE, I do not have a problem.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp