Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide scanners
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 07:09:32 +0100

Hi B.D.,

I agree with you that the Photosmart is best for negatives, although with some
tweaking one can get quite decent slide scans from it, like the ones on my web
page. However, it will certainly beat a flatbed scanner with slide attachment,
with the usual 600 dpi optical resolution of the latter. If budget is no issue,
then clearly one should go for a high-end scanner like the Nikon LS-2000; but I
was assuming that John (who posted the original question) was looking for a
low-cost option.

On another note, I have the Vuesmart software (version 1.2). I have a hard time
seeing any quality difference in the slide scans, and none whatsoever in
negative scans, compared to the normal HP software. And I find the lack of a
preview function really annoying. Have they fixed this yet?

Nathan

B. D. Colen wrote:

> With all due respect to Nathan - The HP Photosmart is terrific for scanning
> negatives, either color or b&w, particularly when used with the Vuesmart
> software - which you can buy on the web for $40. HOWEVER, I have been really
> disappointed with the quality of slide scans.
> But if you primarilly want to scan negatives and an occassional small print,
> definitely go for it...It's about $399 or less in the U.S. and worth the
> money.
>
> B. D.

- --
Nathan Wajsman