Subject: [Leica] Re: Help evaluating a 135/2.8
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:30:14 -0500

At 01:16 PM 3/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
>  1) the focus is very stiff, nothing like my newer 90/2.8 or 35/2.0.
>     Might a CLA make it easier to spin?

Almost for sure.

>  2) Not that I want to put a filter on the front of it, but I noticed
>     that either it's not threaded, or it has something screwed in.
>     There's what looks like a glass-less filter as the last thing on
>     the lens, it says VII on one side and 14161 Canada on the other
>     side.

A retaining ring for a series VII filter, which has no threads.

>     Actually, now that I apply some force, it spins off like a filter
>     too, but no glass. Hmmmm.  A device to Prevent One From Using a
>     Filter?   How Leica-ish...
>
>  3) If I shine a flashlight through the lens from the front, and
>     carefully (boy, is it bright when you look straight into it) look
>     at the elements, there's a small blotch of white on what seems to
>     be the inside of the rear element.
>
>     It doesn't seem to come off w/ lens cleaning paper and fluid, so
>     I *think* it's on the inner surface of the element.
>
>     My guess is that this is the dreaded fungus that I've heard so
>     much about.

Possibly

>     Will is get bigger?

Possibly. If you have it CLAed ask the technician to remove/kill it.

>     Am I more likely for my other lenses to develop fungus if I store
>     them w/ this "infected" lens?

Nope

>     I'm assuming that if I make some test shots, and don't see have
>     any trouble, that the blotch must be small enough to not be an
>     issue.  Is there anything in particular (e.g. flary situations?)
>     that I should test?

Chances are that flary situations colud be made worse. Try it and see.

>     The lens was rated Ex, and no mention was made of the blotch.
>     Should I feel misled?

Not necessarily. Many vendors state that the condition is the outward
appearance of the item only. You might ask for a lower prioce to offset the
CLA cost.

Ken Wilcox
Ken Wilcox					Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LAW LHSA MEA						          <wilcox@tir.com>