Subject: Re: [Leica] photgraphy
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 15:08:39 -0800

I think the Quaker Oats pinhole exercise is very important. I can always
spot a photographer who has not undergone that hallmark experience of
enlightenment. They uselly have a multimode meter attached to their hat visor.
Toy and sevearly amateur cameras are a must. Disposable cameras someday.
127 is the format of the future(for me). As is 4 by 4.
What about sticking stuff on the paper; cameraless photography, I forgot
what they call it; That whole Bauhouse thing. I think its all a great
humidifying experience. Humidity is an asset many photographers lack.
Especially in the high desert.
The basic bellows view camera is the most interesting experience. Made
more interesting because it as the first camera and invented before film
and is still the most useful. But that depends what you shoot and how
you want to shoot it and we're all hand held miniature people so I wont
be annoying and bring that up.
But if you ever feel like your ideas are drying up just wip out that old
view camera, tripod focusing cloth and set up shots. Upside down is a
great way to compose.
I even heard HCB did that but who cares?
Next day when you go out with your 35 you will shoot a great roll as a result.
Thank you and goodbye. Back to the Darkroom. It's hard not to be too negative.
Mark :-) Rabiner