Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon LS-2000 scanner software question
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:24:46 -0500

At 05:08 PM 3/16/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Messages from both Tina and Joe suggest that the Silvefast software is less
>than useful with the LS-2000. Tina states that she uses the Nikon software
>"more often" than the Silverfast software.
>
>Tina, why do you "ever" use the Silverfast software? What is it doing for
>you that the Nikon software cannot do?
>
>thanks,
>
>Jim

Well, the preview screen is much larger!  The Silverfast has something
called ScanPilot that you can set for your preferences and it automatically
adjusts levels, contrast, hue, saturation, etc.  or you can stop it at any
step and re-adjust.  I have heard that doing all of the tweaking before
scanning is better than doing it in Photoshop but I would think you would
have to be working with very large files to tell a difference.  Most of my
scanning so far has been for the web, for thumbnails for filing purposes
and for portfolio CD's.  I have printed a few 11 x 17 color prints which
required very large files.  I used Silverfast for that, adjusting all of
the colors and levels before scanning.  They came out perfectly, but the
Nikon software might have done just as well.  The only reason I choose to
use Silverfast at times is because of the preview which I can enlarge to
fill my 20" screen.  If I had it to do again, I would not buy it.  Hope
this helps!

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP