Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon LS-2000 scanner
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:04:44 -0500

At 11:25 PM 3/16/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>Seeing some slide scans which Pascal did for me, I have concluded that I
>*nned* the Nikon LS-2000 scanner. I can buy it in Amsterdam at a good
>price, and I have a choice of getting it with or without the Silverfast
>software. The price difference is about 700 NLG, or about $350. My
>question to LUGgers who have this scanner: is the software worth the
>additional cost? If I opt to buy the scanner without the software, what
>am I missing out on?
>
>Nathan
>

>Nathan Wajsman
>Overijse, Belgium
>Photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator

Nathan -

I have the LS-2000 with Silverfast which I purchased separately for over
$500.  If I had it to do over again, I would not buy the Silverfast.  It
has a few more pre-scan controls than the Nikon software but certainly not
$500 worth and probably not $350 worth.  The Nikon software is perfectly
adequate.  I had thought the Silverfast would help me scan black and white;
but as the Silverfast developers told me after I bought it, it is not at
its best with black and white.  In spite of "Silver" in the name, the
silver in the film conflicts with the clean-scan feature of Silverfast and
you have to turn that off to scan B&W.  You can also not use the batch
scanning feature that comes with the SF-200 bulk slide loader.  I end up
using the Nikon software more often than the Silverfast for these reasons.
Hope this helps.

Leically,

Tina
Tina Manley, ASMP