Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/1.4 Asph vs 50/1 Noct
From: Stan and Mary Kephart <KEPHARTOL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 99 10:26:33 -0500

Nathan wrote:

>At last year's Photokina, there was a special meeting for a group of LUGgers
>with Leica management. As far as I recall, the Leica people said that there
>are no plans to update the Noctilux.
>
>It is a very good lens. As I have never had the 1.4/35mm, I cannot compare
>the two, but I find it highly unlikely that the Noctilux would beat any
>other modern Leica lens at 1.4 and smaller apertures. That is not what one
>buys it for.

Thanks, for your remarks.  Being still a relative newbie, using Leica for
about 2 years, and the nocti for 1 year and the 35/1.4 not at all, I have
gleaned that each lens has special *characteristics,* and that the
marriage of art and technology in photography is to learn what those
characteristics and use them (ie the camera is your "paintbrush") to
bring out the qualities you want to express in your photograph.  MHO.

MK