Subject: RE: [Leica] old outmoded lightmetering........
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:44:32 -0000

Topher

These were called 'extinction' meters and didn't necessarily need a prism,
they were made from the late 19th century onwards. A graduated (light to
dark) scale was used to match with what the eye could just distinguish and
then the reading was made.
'Rudimentary' is a description which comes to mind, erring most in dim light
of course due to the lack of light with which to distinguish any change.
Leitz did not make one though I think another manufacturer created one which
bore the Leica name on it somewhere.
Far more practical, to go with the IIIf (1950s vintage) would be one of the
Leicameters (made by Metrawatt) which sat on the accessory shoe and was
about the size of a matchbox, often seen at camera fairs, less frequently
seen working, but generally available for around $50.
The earliest Leicameters for the Leica were bakelite models from Weston and
bulky, the second 'series' were satin chrome and small, the last designs
were for the M cameras and provided coupling with the shutter speed dial.

Jem