Subject: Re: [Leica] ASPH with Paint Run
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:48:53 -0500

SNIP --

Richard Fulco wrote:

My new lens reads #ummilux--some white paint apparently
splashed over the 's' in the word summilux.  Any way to safely remove
the excess?  Should I just leave it alone?

SNIP --

Richard,

The f/1.4 35mm ASPH Summilux M is one of the best lens you can
photograph with on a Leica M body.  Hopefully, you bought it to use. ;-)
You did not mention whether you purchased the lens new with the full 3
year Passport Protection warranty or new in the box without that
warranty.

Certainly if you purchased it as a demo/new (without the three year
Passport Protection warranty), I would suggest considering the slurred
"S" (#) as one of a kind, and finish patina, and not attempt to remove
the extra paint either chemically or mechanically and put the front lens
element or its coatings at risk.  If you purchased it new from National
Camera in the Twin Cities, or from any U.S. Leica dealer, the U.S.
Passport Protection (full warranty) allows you to have your 35mm ASPH
Summilux repaired (mostly likely) at Leica USA or replaced.

I would go out and exercise the ASPH and M6 by shooting some film early
tomorrow in the area of Hennepin Avenue around Nicollet Island and the
River Walk. You can call upon the Passport warranty early next week if
the paint filling on the front engraving still separately bothers you
after seeing some product of that magic lens.  My first -- new -- f/1.4
50mm (1961) had an bubble in one of the lens but it took really
fantastic available light photos.

Best of light tomorrow,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia