Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Adams, Weston, and... Welch?
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:44:45 -0600 (CST)

This has been an interesting thread.....I have to add my
.02 (sorry).....I'd like to expand on Eric's statements...

Our US society has grown into a "world" society during my
short lifetime.....we WERE isolated politically, economically,
and socially from Europe and Asia until the explosion in
communications and travel that has occurred in MY lifetime....

Many preferred/prefer it that way.

I grew up in a "working" middle class household.....neither
parent was college educated, although they were literate
and capable....my mom (still alive) lived her life in a
300 mile radius....her reality was that of a housewife (happy,
I can only presume) living in a tidy brick house with her
extended family within easy driving distance....in her
ever-present Oldsmobile......."Technology" to her is represented
by the indoor plumbing, electric lights, clock radio tuned to
the cooking or gardening station, TV (FINALLY color, beginning
a couple years back) also tuned to the "martha stewart" shows...
Devoutly Catholic, she works the "Bazaar" and the "Bake" sale,
and makes cute (!) little fuzzy things to sell at the Knights of
Columbus sales......

Wars were started by "bad" people, and "won" by "our boys", thereby
insulating her from any knowledge of worldly (and usually "godless")
politics.....she has/will vote a straight democratic ticket, because
my ol' man was a union member, and he told her to.......his
boss was a democrat, and he died thinking that the "boss" would
somehow know if he voted for a republican, anyway, that's the
party of the "rich".....certainly nothing in it for "our" people...
as for the political scandals of the 90s?  -- that's easily
explained by a lack of "upbringing" and lack of 'god"......

She worked/works hard, and if someone else is hungry or lacking,
it's usually the fault of laziness or alcohol or other "frivolous"
activity...wasting resources that should be put in to the home and
family....

Luckily, she'll die before she realizes she was "ignorant"....

Is she?

We all have our 'reality'.....those living in northern California
50 years ago had theirs.....am I better off being informed?....
having gone to college, keeping up with 'worldly' affairs?....
Whose lies/politics/science should I believe THIS year?........

Dupont/Dow chemical/RJ Reynolds/GM.....are they the enemy?  or am
I?  What about HCB?  my mom says he's a frenchman, ya know.......

Walt