Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Adams, Weston, and... Welch?
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 06:52:05 +0100

Eric,

You have a strange idea of European topography. Europe is not only
concrete, 1936 popular front, cobblestones and urban intellectuals. Or do
the Alps, the Pyrennea, the West Highlands and the Scandinvian fjords count
as dwarfs explaining HCB's opinion?

Maybe the French Atlantic coastline, the forests of Germany or the curvy
hills of Lombardy, or the sierras of central Spain are just insignificant
vignettes that explain why European social photographers of the middle of
the 20th century had a problem with Adams, Weston, and the like ?

Maybe our trees are not "long enough" ? ;-)

Alan

On lundi 22 mars 1999 0:00, Eric Welch [SMTP:ewelch@ponyexpress.net] wrote:
> At 09:20 PM 3/21/99 +0100, you wrote:
> >Well, first, I don't know what "equipped to appreciate" means.  I would
say

> It means they haven't been there. Most of them anyway. And certainly not
> HCB. You have to be there to understand what the work of photographers
the
> likes of Adams and Weston (and Bullock, and Weston, and Weston, and on
and
> on right up to Art Wolfe and Jim Brandenburg...) is about. They have to
be
> in the stands of trees over 300 feet tall to comprehend what they really
> are like. To sleep under the stars in the Sierra Nevadas, or the
Cascades,
> or the Rockies or Tetons to know what Western U.S. mountains are about.
It
> has nothing to do with people's equipment. It has to do with their
experience.

> Calling the work of Ansel Adams clinical is just missing the point.
Shoot,
> some people call him Wagnerian! How could that be?
>
> That's all. It's not a genetic failing, it's a lack of experience.
Nothing