Subject: Re: [Leica] re: Mark Rabiner
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:00:15 -0800

allan jay silver wrote:

> As far a technique goes I know for a fact the results of shooting
> snip reat artist and craftsman whose subject matter is rural
> instead of urban.
> Mark Rabiner
>
>                      **************************
>
>         Something that no one has mentioned re: Ansel Adams, was the fact that he
> carried several Hasselblad Film cassettes and each one was labeled based on
> his Zonal system of exposure vs development.
>         Some were for slight over-exposure and under-development; others were for
> slight underexposure and over-development.   Unfortunately it isnt easy to
> do this with a leica unless you carry several Leicas similarly labeled.
> This enabled him to bring out shadow detail in some exposures while in
> others he was able to reduce contrast to a managable level in the darkroom.
>  Unfortunately this apparently doesn't work well for color.
> allan

A stack of 3 or 4 M bodies would not be that much bigger and heavier
than a stack of Blad backs. Each one for N-1 or N+1 N+2 or more;
development a basis of the zone system.
To simplify N+1 brings a lighter zone one stop lighter...
with the lower tones staying the same this increases contrast when needed.
The higher zones or tones (lighter) are being "placed" with development.
As increased development does increase contrast in color "neg I'm
specifily thinking" it has limited but very possible use in color neg.
A Zone system for transparencies would be calibrated in half stops but
I'm sure someone's got one going somewhere.
Mark Rabiner