Subject: Re: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:26:21 -0800

D Khong wrote:

snip
> I believe Leica should get an AF RF/SLR out into the market soon.  Many of
> us are getting long in the tooth and weak in the eyes and would welcome the
> advantages that AF has to offer.  I often ask myself: How can one continue
> to happily use a camera which will give blurred shots due to eyesight
> problem when there is an alternative loaded with extra features?
>
> Dan K.

I though and I'm sure many of us have had. But on the other hand:
How would it look if it is perceived that Leica is needing to scramble
to respond to a perceived G2 threat?
And Does it?
Could Leica effeicently make a better G2 than the G2 and what if they
right off the bat didn't?
Does the world need another G2? The G2 is pretty good why another
autofocus interchangeable lens camera?
Having both systems you are in the enviable posissioin of knowing which
system you like to shoot with. If the G2 is winning you over more power
to ya.
My Nikon SB23 Flash is on my M6 now. It is the most compact flash I
have. If I put it on my 8008 which doesn't get much use I can also shoot
in total darkness. And that was the first thing I did when I got that
setup. Turn off all the lights in the house and went around doing
telekinetic photography talk about going with the Force! The thought of
a lazorbeam thing shooting out to focus my camera and so on was very
exciting to me for a short while. I shot a roll with a model in total
darkness. But then the novelty ended. And that was a few years back.
If I was shooting these low light hard to see things you describe I
would want a Noct. Or a 35 1.4 but I don't have either or a G2 so I
can't speak from experience.
I'm very happy with my Zeiss T* lenes on my 'Blad but on the G2 they are
said to be very good but less then great and I'm used to great.
Sorry to insult your glass.
Mark Rabiner