Subject: Re: [Leica] G system and Leica IN YOUR DREAMS
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:17:17 -0500

All,

Popular Photography's test reports imply optical superiority to Zeiss G
lenses over Leica M, as does Photodo. Pop Photo's tests indicated that
the 35 Planar's performance wide open was marginal, which seems to have
forever damned this lens as the (only) non-performer in the group. This
is now the oft-repeated conclusion on/of that lens. ColorFoto, on a case
by case basis, universally reports slight optical superiority of Leica M
over Zeiss G. Erwin, to my recollection, has not posted his views on
this issue. I recall seeing Chasseur d'Images reports, but can't
remember the specific results (Pascal?).

It probably is fair to say that any optical performance advantages
between the two lens lines will in most instances be largely obscured by
user technique.

David W. Almy
Annapolis