Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:06:26 +0100

Rob Studdert writes:

>Bruce,
>
>What is the difference between checking the focus indicator in the G2 and
>the spilt image in the M, I have both and I don't have trouble.

The poster's point was that the G2 is faster than the M.  My response was
that since you can prefocus the M out of sight of the subject -- and while
not taking your eyes off the subject -- and cannot realistically do this
with the G, then the statement is untrue.  Of course if you WANT to take the
time to focus and meter the subject then speed isn't the issue in that
particular situation.

>> 2.  It you have to turn off the electronics in order to get the camera to
>> work right, then that doesn't say too much for the camera, IMHO.  Why
>> bother with it in the first place?
>
>Why turn it off? I like to have batteries on my MR-4 meter as well, it's a
>bit useless otherwise.

See above.

>Please try to understand that not everybody has identical photographic
aspirations, just because someone owns a G or M camera doesn't mean that
they have an obligation to stalk subjects in order to capture that decisive
moment. The operation of the G system suites many users shooting styles.

Again, style was not the issue.  Please try to undertand the thread before
you respond.
Of course the G2 better fits the styles of some, I would assume.  For
instance, Dan Khong
has already told us that his eyes are going bad.  The G2 would be perfect
for such a
photographer.

It is just not faster than the M in the hands of an experienced user in
situations where
speed is an issue.  In addition, by all accounts, the G2 was *intended* to
compete with
the M.  I'm delighted that some find that it can fill another niche.  But
comparing the two
is perfectly logical.  By your criteria, no camera could be compared with
another.

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw