Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 11:49:02 +0100

This doesn't pass the smell test, Eric.  I was living in Japan when both the
G1 and G2 came out.  Nippon Camera, Asahi Camera, Capa, Photo Contest, the
big, thick, photography monthlies had page after page after page of G-M
comparison charts, photos, testimonials, the whole works -- surrounded by
Contax ads.  Everyone knew what was up.  The Japanese, to their credit, are
Leica obsessed (check the ads in those magazines, for example).  The
companies did nothing to distance themselves from the comparison -- in fact
they actively, if subtlely, encouraged it in their advertising -- until it
became obvious that the G would not be the Leica-killer (their words, not
mine) that it was intended to be.  THEN, the company flaks changed their
story and started to deny it was ever the purpose.  Right.

Sidelight:  The number of new trial-balloon cameras introduced in Japan on a
yearly basis is relentlous.  Not all make it to the export market.  But
within mere weeks you can tell what's a success and what isn't just by
making the rounds to the used equipment shops, which abound, especially in
Tokyo and Osaka.  In no time G1s and 2s started to pop up on the shelves
faster than anything I could remember.  That was the main thing that raised
my eyebrows about those cameras.  You're dead right about the viewfinder,
focus, and lens speed.

Regards,
Bruce Feldman
Warsaw