Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica & Contax test
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:54:31 -0800

> At 02:13 PM 3/26/99 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
> >...A camera with the long tradition and intelligent design evolvement such
> >as the Leica M deserves more than a cheap brushoff.
> >What other cameras belong in this category?
> >The Rolleiflex TLR
> >Speed Graphic
> >Deardorf
> >Nikon F
> >?
> >Cameras that evolved to near perfection but had that perfection built
> >into its first inception.

Let's not forget Linhof, who makes a version of the Speed Graphic style
camera still today that is the equal to Leica in sheer beauty of
construction and operation.  It has been in production, I'll bet, far
longer than the speed graphic, or virtually any other camera, and
virtually unchanged.  And if you haven't used a Linhof, of whatever
style, you are in for a treat, though Sinar and the recent Arca Swiss
are in the same company, though a bit more fussy of design.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego