Subject: Re: [Leica] grain in ilford/kodak/fuji B&W films at ISO3200
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:39:43 -0500

SNIP --

George Hartzell wrote:

> I've run three rolls of Delta 3200 through a lab that's processed them
> in D76, 1:1 (I think), with good but grainy results.  Another roll of
> Delta3200 that went through a different lab was less happy, I'm not
> sure that they've ever seen the film before....

SNIP --

George,

I just recently picked up some Ilford Delta 3200 Professional (Delta
3200).  At the pro counter at Penn Camera in D.C., they did not have the
specification sheet for the Delta 3200.  The gentleman behind the
counter stated that those who have used it reported that it was best @
1600.  The Ilford web site doesn't list the Delta 3200 on its available
B/W professional films.

The site does have a press release section and that has a flak's
write-up of the Delta 3200.  After mentioning Delta 100 and 400, the
write-up several paragraphs down states: "With a measured speed of up to
ISO 1250 (up to ISO 1600 when developed in Ilford Micropen developer)
the film has been designed to be 'push' processed to achieve its nominal
speed of EI 3200."

The press release goes on to quote the Ilford marketing manager [of all
people (and who probably reviewed the release)] that control of grain
and speed could be achieved "simply [only] by selecting the right
developer ...."

I cannot speak from experience as I have yet not had an opportunity to
use the Delta 3200 in my M6, an ISO of 1200 would seem more realistic if
you don't have your own darkroom, and control of the film development
process.

Best of Light,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia