Subject: Re: Antw: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica- Reason For Rom
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 22:22:22 -0400

Lucien:

I will see if I can find the source of my info.  As for Rom being used to
tell the camera the true aperture of the lens, the caamera does this
anyways since it meters through the lens.  It may just be a poor
translation that you have read, which should have read that it transmits
the effective taking aperture.

I checked my R8 manual and all it says is that the ROM lenses allow
electronical exposure compensation.  I will see if I can find where I got
the idea that the ROM transmitted the aperture value at time of release to
the camera so that it can compensate for any mechanical errors.  This may
be what Leica means by electronical, electro and mechanical.  This system
is needed on motor driven cameras to ensure the aperture stops down fast
enough and if it doesn't, to correct the exposure.  I think the EOS RT,
just leaves the aperture closed when firing at a high framing rate in order
to avoid these mechanical errors.

Regards,

Robert