Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica- Reason For Rom
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:23:28 +0000

<snip>

>But things have changed considerably since then. Just look at the Contax
645 >to understand
>what I am talking about.
>I have posted a message on future R autofocus developments several months
>ago.
>
>Pascal

Can we have that post again?

I would think any major camera manufacturer cannot ignore the need to bring
in AF.  Their niche in the market share depends very much on this development.
Even MF cameras are going AF.  One can devote so much more time into
composing when one does not have the hassle of calculating exposure,
focussing, film speed setting, film loading and rewinding, exposure
compensation, flash metering, etc etc etc.

All said and done, sometimes one would like the option of total control,
with the camera in the hand, a sort of contemplative approach to
photography, subtle yet deliberate, savouring every moment, enjoying every
twist of the dial or flick of the lever, setting the right mood, waiting
for the right moment, creative juices brimming with anticipation, eye
looking through the viewfinder, focus again.., the heart beating, one more
millisecond ...yes... click, quick flick of the thumb, wind on .. click
again!  Ah, yes.... freedom from mindless automation. So very often, when I
cradle a Leica M in my hands, it's simplicity in its own right and I am
excited with unique form of freedom!

Dan K.