Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica- Reason For Rom
From: Pete Su <psu@jprc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 08:51:59 -0500

The biggest difference between *most* AF lenses and their MF counterparts, in
the Nikon line, for example, is that the focusing mechanism is much less damped
and has a much shoter throw from infinity to close focus. The total travel on
my 35mm f/2 for example, is around a 90 degree turn. These compromises are made
so that the small motor in the camera body can focus the lens at a reasonable
speed. But, this doesn't have to be the case. If you put the right kind of
motor *in the lens*, like Canon has been doing for a decade, then you can build
lenses that have a longer, better damped focus action and that still autofocus
very quickly.

Personally, I tend to use manual focus, even with my autofocus body, and I use
the AF sensor and focus confirmation as a rangefinder device for wide lenses.
This works really well on even on older (F4, N8008s) Nikon bodies. It would be
nice to see Contax (aside from the RX and AX) or Leica put something like this
in to their newer cameras. The electronic rangefinder is nice because you can
get the effect of a split-image rangefinder focus screen without having to
actually use one. Those screens are annoying for macro work, because the whole
center of picture blacks out when you stop down to check DOF, for example.

Cheers,
Pete