Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:06:23 -0500

Paul Klingaman wrote:

> Dear LUG,
>
> It's been a beautiful day here in Boston.

SNIP

> Okay, exposure was on.  Click.....ahh....$*&%&#!  I
> was focused at about 32", and she was at least 10 ft. away.  By the time
> I realized the focus was off, the magic was gone.  Did I get the shot?
> I'll only be able to tell after tonight when I develop and print.  Maybe
> I got it.  I was using a summicron 50, and the DOF at f11 might have
> been adequite.  Then again, maybe I missed it.  So please, how might I
> avoid this in the future?  This is only my 6th roll using the
> rangefinder, and my focusing is gradually getting better, but could you
> all impart some of your wisdom as to how I can achieve quicker focus for
> street shooting?  I LOVE this camera, and considering the great shots
> I've gotten with it so far, I'm not going to let "the one that got
> away(maybe)" discourage me.  Although, it would be a shame.  Thanks in
> advance for your kind input.
>
> Sincerely,

Paul,

Several thoughts. I always keep my camera focused at 6-8 feet. This way,
under the circumstances you described, I have a pretty good chance of
holding with DOF. Generally, for street work, though, I use a 35mm
because when I'm focused at 7 feet at f8 I have DOF from about 5 feet to
10 feet. I guesstimate distance by figuring how many average height
people laid end to end it would take to reach the subject. 5-6 feet
equals one person. 10-12 feet equals two people. I also like my 35
Summicron because it has a focus tab and I've been training myself to
know where the camera is focused by the position of the tab. Some people
recommend keeping focus always set at infinity because then you just
rack focus until you hit the correct distance. To each their own.

As for metering, I generally take a middle-grey reading every so often
under differing light conditions. That way my exposure is set. If I go
from sunlight to shade I know how much to open up without having to
bring the camera to my eye.

Finally, the more you practice the more your percentages will go up.
Don't be discouraged. The most important thing is to decipher your
mistakes and define appropriate solutions.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/